A History of Reliability
Breaux Petroleum Products traces its roots back to the early 1900s in the grocery and produce business. During this time, there were no decent roads for transport – the bayou was the highway.
A.P. Breaux, the company’s founder, got his start by picking up field runs of produce from farmers and gardeners and delivering them via barge to the wharf in Lockport, Louisiana, where they were handled and delivered in connection with the Southern Pacific Railroad. Soon, A.P. was offered a contract hauling sugarcane to Raceland from Bayou Lafourche. With this contract came expansion and more barges added to Breaux’s fleet.
This business continued to grow and thrive until good roads started to take shape and trucks brought the benefit of speedy delivery. It was at this time that A.P. saw an opportunity to diversify his growing business by hauling crude oil from the Leeville Field in 1922, right at the dawn of a new industry that would come to shape the state’s economy.
Then known as A.P. Breaux & Sons, the company secured the state’s first-ever distributor contract from Shell Oil Company and began to distribute Shell products including gasoline, oil, diesel and kerosene throughout the Lafourche region.
The second generation of the company saw A.P.’s sons split in to two oil distributors serving South Louisiana with both Amoco and Shell. In 1986, the two companies—each with established reputations—merged to form what is now known as the modern-day Breaux Petroleum Products. Today, under the guidance of the third, fourth and fifth generations, Breaux Petroleum Products continues to serve as a trusted provider of products and services to the state’s vital industries while holding true to the same high standards of quality and reliability that it was founded on more than 95 years ago.